“Whip up a nutritious and flavorful cabbage stir-fry in no time! This simple recipe combines shredded cabbage with a medley of vegetables, creating a delicious dish that’s packed with health benefits. Get ready to tantalize your taste buds with this satisfying and wholesome meal.”
- 1 small head of cabbage, shredded
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes for a spicy kick
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat.
- Add the sliced onion and minced garlic to the skillet and sauté until they become fragrant and slightly golden.
- Add the julienned carrot and sliced bell pepper to the skillet. Cook for about 2-3 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add the shredded cabbage to the skillet and toss everything together. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes until the cabbage is tender-crisp.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, salt, and pepper. If you prefer a spicy stir-fry, you can also add the red pepper flakes.
- Pour the sauce over the cabbage mixture and stir well to combine. Cook for another minute or two to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed.
- Remove from heat and serve the cabbage stir-fry hot. It can be enjoyed as a side dish or as a main course when paired with rice or noodles.
Health Benefits of Cabbage: Cabbage is a highly nutritious vegetable that offers several health benefits. Here are some key benefits:
- Rich in nutrients: Cabbage is low in calories and packed with essential nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B6, folate, potassium, and fiber.
- Antioxidant properties: Cabbage contains antioxidants, including vitamin C and flavonoids, which help protect the body against free radicals and oxidative stress.
- Anti-inflammatory effects: The presence of phytonutrients in cabbage, such as anthocyanins and glucosinolates, contributes to its anti-inflammatory properties, which can help reduce inflammation in the body.
- Digestive health: Cabbage is an excellent source of dietary fiber, which aids digestion, promotes regular bowel movements, and supports a healthy gut.
- Heart health: The fiber, potassium, and antioxidants in cabbage contribute to heart health by reducing cholesterol levels, maintaining blood pressure, and protecting against cardiovascular diseases.
- Cancer prevention: Cabbage contains compounds called glucosinolates, which have been studied for their potential cancer-fighting properties. These compounds help in the detoxification process and may reduce the risk of certain types of cancers.
Including cabbage in your diet can be a nutritious way to support overall health and well-being. Enjoy the cabbage stir-fry and reap the benefits of this versatile vegetable!
Veronica is dedicated and experienced nutritionist and certified health coach who specializes in functional medicine, She's a published author, nutritional instructor, WBFF professional figure athlete, and both the brains and beauty behind all that Makeover Nutrition offers.
Veronica is also the President & CEO of a BC based health and wellness association; Pacific Alliance of Body Care.