Written by Veronica Yoo
Chunky Beef Stew
What is your favourite comfort food in the winter? I love home made stews! My grandma used to cook chunky beef stew all day. Our house smelled so good! this is my grandma’s recipe but I tweaked the ingredients for low carb dieters 🙂
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours 10 minutes
- 3 lbs beef braising steak, grass fed
- 1/2 cup ghee, organic
- 1 medium red onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 canned chopped tomatoes, unsweetened
- 1 cup beef bone broth
- 2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1.5 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 5 medium size zucchini
- Preheat a crock pot to high.
- Pat dry braising beef steaks with a paper towel and season with salt and black pepper for both sides
- Melt 1/4 cup ghee in a pan and seal lightly steaks on medium heat.
- Move steaks to the crock pot.
- Add chopped onion and minced garlic in a pan and cook lightly.
- Add tomatoes, bone broth, paprika, cumin, ginger, chilli powder, and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Pour it over the steaks in the crock pot.
- Add bay leaves and cinnamon sticks.
- Cook for 3 hours.
- Remove bay leaves and cinnamon sticks.
- Add chopped zucchini and cook for another 2 hours.
What are the health benefits of ginger?
- It helps digestion process and ease an upset stomach
- It has anti-inflammatory properties
- It aids in the recovery of soft tissue injuries
- It promotes healing of strains.
Veronica is dedicated and experienced nutritionist and certified health coach who specializes in functional medicine, She's a published author, nutritional instructor, WBFF professional figure athlete, and both the brains and beauty behind all that Makeover Nutrition offers.
Veronica is also the President & CEO of a BC based health and wellness association; Pacific Alliance of Body Care.