Southwestern Egg Muffins
Make 4 servings ( 1 serving = 3 muffins)
Nutrition content per serving: Cal: 248, Fat (g) 16, Sat. Fat (g) 4, Chol (mg) 530, Sodium (mg) 308, Carb (g) 8, Fiber (g) 2, Protein (g) 17
- 10 organic eggs
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. chilli powder or chipotle powder
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 jalapeño minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- unrefined, organic coconut oil for greasing muffin pans
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Whisk eggs in bowl and set aside until they are room temperature.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and sauté onion for 5 minutes, or until softened. Reduce heat to medium low.
- Add garlic and stir to combine. Add peppers (if using), spinach, and seasonings. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove the skillet from heat.When mixture has cooled slightly, stir in cilantro.Then add to the eggs in the bowl and stir to combine.
- Rub a little coconut oil in a 12-count muffin tin or line with muffin liners. Divide the egg mixture between the 12 muffin tins and bake egg muffins for 20 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly before removing and serving. May be frozen and reheated.
Tips: These muffins make an excellent on-the-go breakfast or quick snack that is full of lean protein, healthy fat, and lots of vegetables.