Cinnamon Sweet Potato Muffins
Did you know that sweet potatoes are a good source of dietary fiber, vitamins, and minerals which may be beneficial for people with thyroid conditions. Additionally, sweet potatoes are a low glycemic index food, meaning they can help to regulate blood sugar levels, which may be beneficial for people with thyroid conditions.
- Prep Time: 10 min.
- Cook Time: 20 min.
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato or yam
- 2 whole eggs, organic free range
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, cold pressed, organic
- 1/3 cup honey, raw cold pressed, organic or 6 dates, pitted
- 2 cups oats, dry blended
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp himalayan salt or sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, organic (optional)
- 1 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line silicone muffin cups in a baking pan
- In a large mixing bowl, add wet ingredients: mashed potato, coconut oil, 2 eggs, honey, and vanilla extract and mix well.
- In a small bowl, add blended oats, baking powder, salt and cinnamon and mix well.
- Combine mixed dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well. ( use spartular )
- Pour the batter into silicone muffin cups evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Cool down and store in the refrigerator or freezer
What are the health benefits of sweet potato?
1. Rich in Antioxidants: Sweet potatoes are a great source of antioxidants, including beta-carotene, which can help protect cells from damage.
2. High in Nutrients: Sweet potatoes are a great source of many vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A, C, and B6, as well as iron and potassium.
3. Can Help Lower Blood Pressure: The high amounts of potassium in sweet potatoes can help to regulate blood pressure and reduce the risk of hypertension.
4. May Help Improve Digestion: Sweet potatoes are a good source of fiber, which can help to promote regularity and a healthy digestive system.
5. May Help Lower Cholesterol: The fiber content in sweet potatoes can help to lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Veronica is dedicated and experienced nutritionist and certified health coach who specializes in functional medicine, She's a published author, nutritional instructor, WBFF professional figure athlete, and both the brains and beauty behind all that Makeover Nutrition offers.
Veronica is also the President & CEO of a BC based health and wellness association; Pacific Alliance of Body Care.